The Olympic 2018 Winter games will be held in… Anchorage, Alaska January 26, 2010
For the 2018 Winter games I chose Anchorage, Alaska.
Some facts about Anchorage:
- Anchorage has a population of 277,000. It is Alaska’s largest city with 42 percent of the state’s population.
- You can see the Chugach, Kenai, Talkeetna, Tordrillo, Aleutian and Alaska mountain ranges from Anchorage.
- On a clear day you can see Mount McKinley. This 20,320-foot peak is the tallest mountain in North America.
- There are approximately 100,000 glaciers in Alaska, 60 of which are within 50 miles of Anchorage.
- English explorer Captain James Cook is credited with first exploring and describing the Anchorage area in 1778during his third voyage of discovery.
- “Alaska Natives, who make up 15 percent of the state’s population, maintain many traditions, such as whaling, subsistence hunting and fishing, and old ways of making crafts and art.”
- Alaska has never hosted the Olympic games before.
- You can find a lot of gold here
The Good Vs. The Bad January 21, 2010
Here is an example of good packaging. The colors that are used catch your attention. The images on the bottles are all of fresh fruit, which makes the drink look more appealing. Another cool thing about this is for the one on the left everything is green, the fruit, and the actual drink. The colors catch your eye and make you want to look at this product.
Why on Earth would someone individually wrap bananas? When I go into a store I see bananas in bunches, not by themselves. But hey if you want one banana all you have to do is take one banana off the bunch. This is a waste of materials.
I have always like the way Apple packages their product. They are “slick”. They keep things minimal but every part of the package has a purpose. The photography that they use is good and catches your attention.
The keyboard that is being sold is skewed in the picture, which makes it hard to look at. The purpose of the package is to get your attention so you buy the product. This package does not get my attention at all. The package should display the whole product, this package does this but you do not get a good view of the whole entire keyboard. The red catches my attention, but the image of the keyboard does not impress.
I think that this is brilliant! Very little material is being used for these shoes. It looks like recycled material so it’s eco-friendly. The shoes are being displayed in a very unusual way, which catches my attention.
Starburst has always had their product in a vacuum sealed line of starbursts! I have no idea why they chose to put them in a bag. The color that use to be on their packaging was yellow, now its red. This would confuse people in the store trying to find it.
What inspired me to be a designer?
My grandmother used to be an artist. When I was younger my sister and I visited our grandma and would have art days. On these art days we would spend the whole day drawing and painting. My sister and I would design clothes for paper doll models, painting with oils, and try to draw each other. Growing up I wanted to be an interior designer. When I got to CSUN I took intro to type with Kelley and I knew that that was what I wanted to do. I started to take more graphic design classes and fell in love with it.
Here is some of my previous work: